The great thing about a blog is that it becomes your memory. Mine isn't great, and I lose track of time. So, I can remember taking out the last of the Leyandii, but couldn't say which winter I did it in.
I thought it was a couple of winters ago, but looking back at the posts here it was actually 2011/12. Time flies.
With the last of them gone I was left with a 45 degree bank of bare, forbidding soil with tree stumps here and there. I decided to seed it with a meadow mix and bought seed with a good range of flowers added in.
Of course, it was a disaster. After a couple of rainy days most of the seed was washed downhill, so by mid-summer of 2012 the bank was still mostly bare but with pathetic patches of grass here and there.
But Rome wasn't built in a day, so I've stuck with it and I reckon this year could be the one that comes good. Early signs are very promising.
It's still very patchy, but it is getting better. I 'm particurly pleased that last year's single cowslip now has company. This spring there are half a dozen cowslips here and there among the rotting remains of the conifers, which is a real treat to see.