Friday 10 February 2012

(nest)Boxing Day

Is tomorrow. Or so the RSPB says. By their reckoning this weekend is the last opportunity to get nestboxes up and ready before the breeding season kicks in.
Here, I think the spell of cold weather has delayed things a bit. Given the low temperatures the birds seem more focused on finding food than anything else.
National Nesbox Week starts on Valentine's Day, so I'd make the deadline weekend the 18th and 19th. Perhaps this weekend is the one to spend making a nestbox - or buying one from the garden centre.
But the RSPB's nudge will prompt me into action. I've taken one of my nestboxes down and it's sitting in the shed waiting for a few much-needed repairs. It now goes to the top of this weekend's gardening 'to do' list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment