Tuesday 28 February 2012

Spring's first bee

I'd just typed in a couple of sentences of this post when the window cleaner turned up. Cue lots of barking from our enraged terrier and a scramble for me as I search for change.
What I'd written went something like: Seen your first bumblebee yet? The weather has been just right here for the last few days, but no sign of any queens.
But now I'm back in front of the computer that's out of date. While I was at the front door chatting my first bee of the year flew by, fast and high. Fresh out of hibernation, it looked like it was a bee on a mission. 
Anyway, what I wanted to do was put a link here to a really useful crib sheet for gardeners who want to make their gardens as bee-friendly as possible. It's been put together by the charity Buglife and it offers the general advice that you'll find elsewhere, but also links to a detailed list of plants that are useful to bumblees and the ones that are not good at all.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello there.

    Indeed I have seen my first Bumblebee too. Along with a multitude of other Phenological indicators during this past few days.

    Best Wishes

    Tony Powell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tony
    Thanks for dropping by. I've just had a look at your blog, which is very interesting. I've been interested in phenology for as long as I can remember and decided to start blogging as a way of keeping track of seasonal changes. This time of the year is really exciting, isn't it?
    Julian

    ReplyDelete